Carols blog

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Robbies getting married today

It has been a long week here. I've been really busy with work and then helping with the benefit for Quimby and Today Robbie, my son, is getting married in Brown County chapel. Its going to be small and I've not had the time to help with the plans. Its good they are able to do all this themselves. This is Robbie's second marriage so it is going to be a small wedding. Only a few family members are going to be there. His first marriage was to Tana, my husband's younger sister. Now that is another story for another time.

Our mini reunion last Saturday was really great. I guess in a way it takes me back to the school years & all the times I missed spending with my classmates. I was very shy in school and didn't make friends very easily. I've come out of that and now trying to make up for all the lost times visiting with my classmates. I hear all talking about the valley and the bee hive and all the parties and get togethers with one another. I am very sad that I could not have been apart of that group. I guess getting older makes you think of all the things you missed in school. When I left the mini this time I was sad. I can't explain why except that as we are getting older, we don't know who might not be with us the next time we meet. I am so thankful for all the classmates, and the times we are now sharing with each other. I hope we will all be around for a very long time to share these times together.

Growing up I spent most of my time helping Mother with my 4 younger brothers. I guess when you have a big family you are with them & not able to spend time with kids of your own age. We lived on Fry Road in a pick and white stone house. (still there). My dad was a builder and he bought several acres there and built all my Aunt & Uncles (6 families) a house on this land. I grew up with all my family surrounding me. We were always together for every holiday and most of the time we always had one of these families at our house for dinner. Mom was a really good cook and she was the oldest, so they all came to our house. Now that I'm older I fondly remember my family and all the fun times we had and all the love that was on this little spot of land in Greenwood, Indiana.

Ginger Johnson was my best friend all through school, she lived in Bo Mar Addition. I remember spending all my free time with her. I think I spent it mostly at her house. She would ride her bike to mine but we would usually end back up at her place. Maybe it was she only had 1 brother where there were 5 brothers and a lot of counsins always at my house. Even today I can remember setting in her bedroom watching her pratice her music, wishing I could play something. She would always help me with my homework, I always wished I could be as smart as she was. She always had A's on her report card and I had to struggle for a C. You might say she was my idol all through school.

An update on Quimby. She lost all her hair this week and I think her mom was more upset over this then Quimby was. They knew it was going to happen. It's so hard to see your child in a hospital bed and nothing you can do for her. She is still having to get blood and hopefully this operation will work. It will be several more weeks before we know. She has been having a hard time eating anything without it making her sick. I guess the Chemo is still taking its toll on her. I don't understand what they have done so different with this bone marrow transplant then with others that have been done in the United States. The doctors say that this is the only 2nd one of its kind to be done in the States. Its been used in others countries. I'm going to have to ask more questions on this, my curiosity has got the best of me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greybeard said...

Thanks for sharing that, Carol.
You mention sadness at missing the Valley and Beehive activities, but it sounds to me like you had your own activity circle right around your house! I think you had the same experience as most, just at a different location.
Funny isn't it, how something so wonderful can make you melancholy? I have the same problem with feeling a little sad as these minis come to a close, wishing I could stop time.
Here's looking forward to the next one!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Flygirl said...

Your feelings aren't any different than mine and others. I guess that we now see how much we each missed when we were young. No matter where we grew up or when we grew up...we now wish we'd done things differently. I think that all of us feel that we've missed things when we hear others experiences. For me...I sure wish that I'd been a "Valley Kid" or lived in B'Ville where there was a Root Beer stand...ha! Hey, I'd loved growing up in one place with a big family all around me!!! It's tough on a kid moving around and never feeling like any place is "home"... Guess Dorothy was right: "there's no place like home, there's no place like home..."

I'm just glad that I ended up at CG with a really great group of classmates that care about each 40 years later...Amen!

My best to you and your family. And remember: We will see each other at the next Mini!

Hugs!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home